Rules Governing Transfer Credits
- Credit will not be transferred while a student is on suspension.
- Only courses with a grade of C or better will transfer.
- Only credits transfer, grades do not.
- The course must be offered at an accredited college or university.
- Only courses listed in the Transfer Guide will transfer from Virginia Community Colleges.
- No more than 50% of the credits required for graduation may be transferred from two-year colleges.
- Of the last 45 hours before graduation, a maximum of 18 semester hours may be transfer hours.
- The student must have an official transcript sent no later than two semesters after the work is completed.
Pre-Approval of Transfer Credits
- Students are strongly encouraged to fill out the Transfer Request form to have courses pre-approved before taking them, even if the course is listed in the Transfer Equivalency Database. This form guarantees that the student will receive the credits they expect.
- This form is not a contract saying that the student must take the course. It is a way of letting the student know ahead of time what courses they will receive credit for before they invest the time and money into taking the course.
Sending Transcripts to Virginia Tech
In order to receive credit upon completing the class(es) elsewhere, students must have the official transcript sent from the registrar at the other school to:
Office of the University Registrar (MC 0134)
Student Services Building
Suite 250, Virginia Tech
800 Washington Street SW
Blacksburg, VA 24061