Scholarship Opportunities for Sophomore, Junior, and Senior CEM Majors
CEM sophomores, juniors, and seniors have the opportunity to be awarded scholarships through both the Myers-Lawson School of Construction and the College of Engineering. The following scholarships are available specifically to CEM majors.
Myers-Lawson School of Construction Scholarships Available to CEM Majors
- Branscome Incorporated Scholarship
- Catherine & Preston White Scholarship
- Fluor Scholarship
- Home Builder’s Association of Virginia
- M. David Jester Scholarship
College of Engineering Scholarships Specifically Available to CEM Majors
- American Infrastructure
- Clark Construction
These scholarships offer up to $62,960 each year to CEM students based on a variety of factors which can include financial need, academic performance, demonstrated leadership skills, personal character, strong work ethic, a passion of the construction industry, underrepresented populations, and first-generation status. Some of these scholarships are renewable for up to 3 years. Individual awards range from $1000-$14,950/academic year.
In addition to CEM specific scholarships, students can also apply for University level need and merit based scholarships awarded through the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid. Criteria for these scholarships vary and may include but are not limited to geographic location as defined by high school attended and/or city, county, or state of residence, academic achievement and financial need.
The amount of the scholarship will vary with the average range between $1500 and $3000 for an academic year. General Scholarship awards are one-time annual awards. Students must apply each year to be considered.
Scholarship Opportunities for Freshmen and Transfer Students
The College of Engineering offers scholarship opportunities specifically for freshmen and transfer students.
How to Apply for General Need and Merit Based Scholarships
To apply for general need and merit based scholarships from the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid:
1. Login to Virginia Tech Scholarship Central once the spring semetser begins.
2. Complete and submit the General Application by January 15 for general need and merit based scholarships from the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid.
3. For eligibility for scholarships, complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by January 15.
How to Apply for College of Engineering Scholarships
To apply for College of Engineering Scholarships:
1. Login to Virginia Tech Scholarship Central beginning January 19.
2. Complete and submit the Conditional Applications for the College of Engineering for need and merit based scholarships from the College of Engineering by March 1.
3. For eligibility for scholarships, complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 1.
Completing the one College of Engineering Scholarship application will make you eligible to receive any College or Department level scholarship for which you meet the requirements; you do not need to submit multiple applications to be considered for multiple opportunities. Click here to view the complete Engineering Application instructions.
Requirements to be eligible for College of Engineering 2021/2022 scholarships:
· Must be undergraduate engineering student enrolled full time (minimum of 12 hours) in 2021/2022 Academic Year.
· Must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher by the end of/including spring 2021 grades.
· Must submit complete College of Engineering application no later than one second past 11:59:59pm on March 1, 2021.
o Application requires two references: these must be Virginia Tech faculty or staff. NO LETTERS ARE REQUESTED AT THIS TIME; only names and email addresses are needed.
o The application requires an essay response (click here to see the question)
Some, but not all, of these awards require a demonstration of financial need; while completion of the FAFSA is not required, it is recommended if it is anticipated the FAFSA will document unmet need.
Some, but not all, of these awards require the recipient to be a US Citizen or permanent resident; every applicant meeting requirements above will be considered for awards for which they meet eligibility.
How to Apply for Myers-Lawson School of Construction Scholarships
To apply for Myers-Lawson School of Construction Scholarships:
1. Complete the application online.
2. Submit the application by the March 1 deadline.