Construction Engineering and Management FAQs


What is the Construction Engineering and Management (CEM) major?

CEM is an exciting program with a curriculum designed to teach you the skills you need to pursue a number of rewarding careers. CEM is a professional discipline dedicated to the design, planning, and execution of construction operations to construct the built environment, which includes buildings, bridges, roads, tunnels, railroads, airports, stadiums, dams, utilities and many other structures and facilities. Professional construction engineers earn excellent salaries and derive great satisfaction working in any one of the many sectors of the construction industry. Their product is tangible and valuable. Construction engineers build things that make people’s lives better and positively contribute to the development of communities!

There are many misconceptions and old notions about the construction industry that are not true today. CEM is not

  • Simple and unsophisticated
  • Boring
  • Unrewarding

CEM is

  • Diverse and interesting
  • Fast-paced
  • Challenging
  • Enhanced by technology
  • Lucrative

What type of work can you do with a degree in CEM?

Construction is a technically driven, complex business that requires knowledgeable, highly-skilled engineers to lead operations. There is and will be a continuing strong demand for CEM professionals. Construction engineers must possess strong fundamental knowledge of engineering design and management principles. CEM graduates may design temporary structures and systems, design construction operations including means and methods, perform cost engineering, planning and scheduling, project and company management, and a host of other diverse duties.

What is the work environment like? 

Construction engineers are not chained to a desk, but have the opportunity to work in the office or out in the field. Usually, it’s a combination of the two; the best of both worlds! CEM is an ideal career choice for those who prefer an environment that is constantly evolving.

How is technology used in construction?

The construction industry is rapidly changing, driven in part by technological innovation. Virtual and augmented reality, building information modelling (BIM), simulation, drones and other technologies are the tools today’s CEM practitioner.

What is the CEM Curriculum? 

The core of the curriculum includes courses in CEM, Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) and Building Construction (BC). The total number of credits required for students graduating in 2019 and 2020 is 131. The total number of credits required for students graduating in 2021 is 133. CEM courses include Intro to CEM, Construction Economy, Construction Estimating & Scheduling, Temporary Structures, Construction Health & Safety, Construction Law & Contract Administration, and CEM Capstone I and II. The CEM program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Students in ABET accredited engineering programs qualify to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam in their senior year, which is a crucial step toward becoming a licensed Professional Engineer (PE). Only Professional Engineers have the authority to sign and seal engineering plans and offer their services to the public. It is a legal requirement for those who are in charge of the work, regardless of whether they are principals or employees. Moreover, a PE license is a major differentiator in hiring and career advancement and commands a higher salary. To view the curriculum and sequence of courses, click on the 2021 Checksheet

What skills do CEM graduates have? 

CEM graduates:

  • demonstrate strong problem-solving skills

  • possess depth and breadth in the construction body of knowledge

  • immediately add value to an organization

  • are equipped to perform equally well in the field or office

  • display growth potential that is not limited to front line or technician status, but are destined to become future industry leaders

Will there be jobs when I graduate?

Yes. Our graduates have 100% job placement within 3 months of graduation (most sign job contracts during the fall semester of their senior year). On average, graduating seniors have multiple full-time job offers. The average starting salary is $66,000. 

What types of jobs are available for CEM graduates?

CEM practitioners work in various construction organizations such as general contractors, construction management firms, specialty contractors, design-builders, consulting engineers, architecture firms, homebuilders, and real estate development firms. CEM graduates are also employed in various capacities representing project owners, suppliers, regulators, lenders, and other stakeholders engaged in creating and maintaining the built environment. Positions include project engineers, project managers, coordinators, estimators, schedulers, safety specialists, business development managers, and many others. Some rise to senior level executive positions, while others own and operate their own firms.

How will I find jobs?

The Myers-Lawson School of Construction holds a Career Fair every fall and spring semester. Over 100 companies attend each semester to recruit CEM students for internships, co-ops, and entry level positions.

Students can also attend the:

Civil Engineering Career Fair

Engineering Expo

Students can also visit the following resources for more internship and career opportunities:

Can I find internships?

We strongly encourage students to complete internships during the summer. This is a great opportunity for students to get hands-on experience related to their major, apply what they are learning in the classroom, and make money. Summer internships also allow students to stay on track with their sequence of courses. Students can find internships at the Fall or Spring Myers-Lawson School of Construction Career Fair

What are co-ops? 

Co-ops are designed to give students real-world experience in their career during the third and fourth year of their education. Students typically work with the same company for two semesters back-to-back (including summer), then return for a semester of coursework before returning for another semester of work. This provides in-depth training for students prior to graduation. For more information about co-ops, click here. A co-op experience typically extends a student’s graduation by 1 year. 

What if I'm interested in graduate school?

Students can pursue graduate school directly after earning their bachelor's degree or can work in the industry first and then return to graduate school at a later time. 

Virginia Tech offers accelerated master's programs that allow undergraduate students to begin working toward their master's degree during their final semester or two. The Master's in Building Construction Science and Management program is offered. The master's degrees in civil engineering are offered through the College of Engineering.

There are two options for the master's degrees in civil engineering: the dual program and the accelerated undergraduate/graduate double count program.

The dual program allows students to take graduate level classes in their final semester of their undergraduate program. The graduate level classes taken under the dual status cannot count twoard the undergraduate degree program and appear only on the graduate transcript. The minimum GPA to be eligible for this program is 3.0. Up to 3 dual classes are allowed for a total of 9 credit hours. A grade of "B" or higher must be earned in order to count on the graduate program of study. 

To apply for this program, students need to apply in the semester prior to double counting courses. For example, if you are graduating in Spring 2022, you would need to submit these materials before November 15. 

  1. Submit an applicaton to the Graduate School at Select your start date as your first full semester enrolled in graduate school, which would be the semester following your undergraduate graduation. For example, if you are graduating in Spring 2022, your first full semester in graduate school would be Fall 2022. Your application will include your transcript, resume, statement of purpose, and information for 2 letter writers (for letters of recommendation). 
  2. Submit your completed Dual Program form to Kara Lattimer. You can view a Sample Form here

The accelerated undergraduate/graduate double count program allows students to have classes count toward both their undergraduate and graduate level degree programs. Courses taken at the undergraduate/graduate double counted courses appear on both undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Students may count a maximum of 2 double counted classes for a total of 6 credit hours. An additional 2 graduate only classes are allowed in the final semester for a total of 6 credit hours. A grade of B or higher must be earned in order to count on the graduate plan of study. This applies to both double counted and graduate only courses.

  1. Submit an applicaton to the Graduate School at Select your start date as your first full semester enrolled in graduate school, which would be the semester following your undergraduate graduation. For example, if you are graduating in Spring 2022, your first full semester in graduate school would be Fall 2022. Your application will include your transcript, resume, statement of purpose, and information for 2 letter writers (for letters of recommendation). 
  2. Submit your completed Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate form to Kara Lattimer. You can view a Sample Form here
  3. Submit your completed Memo of Approved Courses with all signatures to Kara Lattimer. You can view a Sample Memo here.

Who should I talk to if I have questions about my schedule and class selection?

CEM students are assigned to the CEM Academic Advisor when he/she is admitted to the program. Students are asked to make an appointment with their advisor through Navigate. Click on "Launch Navigate Platform", click on "Schedule an Appointment" in the right column, select "Advising", then "Engineering Advising", then "Construction Engineering and Management. Select "Bishop-Favrao Hall" and then your advisor. Be prepared with specific questions and all needed documentation to be reviewed by the advisor. If your advisor is unavailable, a student is to contact the program chair for further assistance.

How do I know if and when I'm graduating?

It is recommended that students apply for their degree as early as the fall semester of their sophomore year on HOKIESPA. Once this is complete, a student can run a Degree Audit Report or (DARS) through HOKIESPA to see exactly what classes are lacking completion for his/her degree.

How do I fix my DARS if there are things that are not correct?

A student should make a print out of the DARS and make an appointment with their advisor through Navigate. Click on "Launch Navigate Platform", click on "Schedule an Appointment" in the right column, select "Advising", then "Engineering Advising", then "Construction Engineering and Management. Select "Bishop-Favrao Hall" and then their advisor.

How do I know if a class will transfer from high school, a community college, and/or another school?

A student is welcome to take classes at other institutions as long as he/she gets the course approved by the College of Engineering prior to enrolling in the course. It can take up to 3 weeks for a request to be approved. 

A student should first look up the other college and the class by visiting the Transfer Equivalency Database to ensure that the class is transferable. 

The student must receive a C or higher in the course in order to transfer the credit back to Virginia Tech. The transfer grade will not be used in the student's Virginia Tech GPA calculation. The student is responsible for providing the registrar's office with an official transcript from the school in which the credit was received.

Transcripts can be sent to:

Office of the University Registrar (MC 0134)

Student Services Building, Suite 250, Virginia Tech

800 Washington St., SW

Blacksburg, VA 24061

What are typical minors for CEM majors?

Minors are not required for CEM majors, but can provide an area of emphasis based on the student's interests. CEM majors have a full program so if they do select a minor, it can add a semester or year to their time at VT. CEM students are prohibited from pursuing a minor in Building Construction.

While minors aren't common for CEM majors, when CEM students choose to pursue a minor, the most common minor is the Green Engineering Minor due to the subject matter and the number of overlapping credits between the minor and major courses as well as CLE/Pathways courses. Other minors that CEM students have pursued include Business, Math, Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, Real Estate, and Spanish.

Additional minors that could be beneficial to students with a major in Construction Engineering and Management include: Business Leadership, Computer Science, Data and Decisions, Diversity and Community Engagement, Engineering Science and Mechanics, Entrepreneurship - New Venture Growth, Environmental Policy and Planning, Landscape Architecture, Leadership & Social Change, Pathways to Sustainability, Professional and Technical Writing, Property Management, Public and Urban Affairs, Smart and Sustainable Cities, Statistics, Strategic Communication, and Sustainable Natural Environments.

Minor Checksheets can be viewed here. You can meet with your Academic Advisor to determine how to fit a minor into your college career and to identify overlapping courses with your major and/or CLE/Pathways courses. 

Students are asked to make an appointment with their advisor through Navigate. Click on "Launch Navigate Platform", click on "Schedule an Appointment" in the right column, select "Advising", then "Engineering Advising", then "Construction Engineering and Management. Select "Bishop-Favrao Hall" and then "Ann Lee".

What are typical Engineering electives? 

Students have a specific list of engineering electives to choose from. Students can review their checksheets for the list of electives. These courses were selected by the CEM Curriculum Committee to best complement the CEM major and prepare CEM students. Here are some of the courses that students choose most frequently: CEE 3604: Introduction to Transportation Engineering (this topic is covered on the FE exam), CEM 3074: Global Design and Construction (offered in the spring semester and paired with a week-long study abroad experience involving hands-on construction projects), CEM 3064: Lean Construction, CEM 3154: Smart Construction, and CEM 4994: Undergraduate Research (this is a great option for students considering graduate school).

How do I force add a class?

Force add requests must be done through the department offering the course. For the most common force add requests see below.

To force add a CEM course, please complete contact the CEM advisor.

To force add a CEE course, please complete the CEE force add request form.

To force add a BC course, please complete the BC force add request form.

Where is the Dean's Office?

“The Dean’s Office”

A lot of times, advisors/professors/other offices will refer you to “the Dean’s office,” but there are several “dean’s offices” on campus, and each handles different things. There’s a Dean of the College of Engineering. There’s also an Associate Dean of Academic Affairs in the College of Engineering. AND, there’s a Dean of Students office. So, while we know which office we mean when referring you, we’re not always careful to spell out exactly which Dean we mean. 

What’s the difference?

THE” Dean’s office is the office of Dean Julie Ross, “THE” Dean of the College of Engineering. Dean Ross deals with all aspects of the College’s management: fiscal, curricular, development, planning, etc. She is not, however, the person who works specifically with students; there are Associates Deans with that responsibility. Most undergraduate students will meet Dean Ross once, as you cross the stage at commencement! 

The “DEAN’S” office is the office of Academic Affairs, the office of Dean Bevlee Watford. The Academic Affairs office deals with all things related to undergraduate students and pursuit of engineering degrees/minors/courses. They’re located in 212 Hancock Hall. 99% of the time you’re told to go to “the Dean’s office,” it’s this office they mean. (Bonus: almost every form you’ll ever need to fill out as an undergraduate can be found on their forms page, and each of the forms has instructions for completion/submission.)

The Dean of Students office is available to all students on campus, regardless of their major. Dean Byron Hughes is the Dean of Students, and his office works to provide support to students, and advocate for students as necessary with university and community resources.

What is the FE Exam?

The FE Exam is the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam. It is the first requirement, in all fifty states, toward the PE (Professional Engineer) licensing. 

When should I take the FE Exam?

All CEM students are strongly encouraged to take the FE exam before they graduate. Engineering students may take the exam if they are within one calendar year of graduation. Registration is year-round and students can select the exam day, time, and location that works best for them.

How do I register to take the exam?

Register year-round at the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying website. Once on the website, select the exam tab and then select the state in which you wish to take the exam from the drop down list on the right side of the screen. Be sure to follow all of the necessary requirements to gain approval to sit for the exam. You can select the exam date, time, and location that works best for you. You will need to register and create an account with NCEES prior to taking the exam. Once you have created your account, registered for the exam and paid the fee, you will receive a confirmation email from NCEES notifying you of the completed process.

When will I receive my FE exam results? 

You will receive your results 7–10 days after the exam. You will receive an email notification from NCEES with instructions to view your results in your MyNCEES account. Results will include a link to your licensing board for additional state specific information or instructions as appropriate. All results are reported as pass or fail.

What is the next step after I pass the exam?

Once you have passed the FE exam, you may apply for the Engineer‐in‐Training designation through the Virginia Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers, and Landscape Architects. Detailed information about the exam can be found here. All applicants must meet the current eligibility requirements at the time the completed application package is received at the Board office. Completed application packages must include all required documentation, references, verifications, and fees. 

What if I need to retake the exam?

If you fail the examination, you will receive a diagnostic report showing your performance for each of the major topics covered on the exam. You will be provided one attempt per testing window and no more than three attempts in a 12‐month approval period, beginning with the examinee’s first attempt. Examinees who require more than three attempts or allow their 12‐month approval period to expire must contact the Virginia board directly to obtain additional approvals.

How can I prepare for the FE Exam?

ESM 4404: Fundamentals of Professional Engineering is a 2 credit hour course offered every spring semester. It is designed as a refresher of basic principles and problem solving techniques involving twelve subject areas most common to all engineering curricula. The topics include those tested by the National Council of Engineering Examiners on the EIT (Engineer-in-Training) examination.

Important Note: ESM 4404 is 2 credits but those 2 credits may not be used to meet any of the required credit hours specified for the BSCEM degree because it is a review course only. The credits for this course are used in the total number of credits you are taking in the semester for the purpose of establishing full‐time student status (12 or more credits/semester). Seniors who want to take this course but who will exceed a total of 19 credit hours for the semester must request Overload Permission from the Dean’s Office The Overload Request Form is available on the College of Engineering website.

Can I study abroad?

Yes. CEM students can study abroad. CEM offers the course CEM 3074: Global Design & Construction which incorporates travel to another country during a student break to work on a construction project specific for that country. For Spring 2018, students enrolled in CEM 3074 traveled to Belize to work with local youth from Belize City's Gateway Center to rebuild a community basketball court in the Collet area of Belize City and construct a Pavilion Structure for the Gateway Center in partnership with Peacework, a non-profit organization, and Belize's Ministry of Education. For Fall 2018, students traveled to Rwanda to design and construct latrines alongside families in Rilima, Rwanda. For Spring 2019, students traveled to Vietnam to build a two-room schoolhouse. CEM 3074 counts as an Engineering Elective and can be taken twice. 

CEE 3954: Study Abroad can also meet an Engineering Elective requirement. The course is offered in the spring semester and involves a study abroad component after the semester ends. In Spring 2018, students traveled to Switzerland, Germany, and Italy. 

There are numerous opportunites to study abroad. You can visit the Global Education Office website for more information. Please note, that if you study abroad during a fall or spring semester, it could delay your graduation from the CEM program. 

What is Policy 91?

What is Policy 91?

Policy 91 is a University-wide policy used to ensure that students make continual progress towards their degree. Each department has its own Policy 91 criteria to determine which students are at risk to fail to graduate.

What is CEM’s Policy 91?

Upon completion of 70 credit hours, Construction Engineering and Managements students must have:

  • completed CEM 2104 and CEE 2814
  • a minimum 2.000 in-major GPA (includes all courses taken under CEE, CEM, and BC designation)
  • a minimum 2.000 overall GPA

If CEM students do not meet these requirements, they are placed on Policy 91 because they are at high risk for not being able to meet the graduation requirements of a 2.000 in-major GPA and a 2.000 overall GPA by the time they have completed their required courses.

Why does Policy 91 exist?

The purpose of Policy 91 is to ensure that students make continuous progress towards their degree and to encourage students to improve their performance or switch majors before they have invested a large amount of time and money on a degree they are unlikely to finish.


Students are required to have an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher to enter any engineering department, and when the GPA drops below this value, it is a strong indication that the student is struggling and needs more guidance and advice. Many students improve their performance with a little encouragement and advice from an academic advisor.


What happens if I am placed on Policy 91?


You have one semester to meet the Policy 91 requirements. You must complete and sign a Policy 91 contract that you will receive from your academic advisor, Ann Lee. This allows you an opportunity to explain what impacted your progress and what you plan to do differently to meet the Policy 91 requirements. You will also meet with your academic advisor three times throughout the semester to track your progress and make adjustments to your plan as needed.


What resources are available to help me improve my grades in general?

For Policy 91 students, we especially recommend:

  • Free tutoring for 1000 and 2000 level courses available through the Student Success Center
  • Free Academic Success Seminars offered through Student Success Center (includes topics such as time management, note taking, test taking, procrastination, etc.)
  • Other Learning Assistance Programs offered through the Student Success Center, including programs for students on academic probation or suspension and UNIV1004: College Success Strategies (3 credit, A-F course)
  • Online Study Skills Workshops offered through Cook Counseling Center (includes time management, study skills, note taking, motivation, etc.)
  • The Sloan Career Cornerstone website, and Career Services are excellent resources for students who are unsure about their choice of a major
  • Cook Counseling Center for counseling to help with personal problems like stress, anxiety, low motivation, depression, relationship problems, etc.
  • Services for Students with Disabilities if have been diagnosed with a disability or suspect you have a disability that is affecting your academic performance
  • Please see your advisor for additional information.

I've been placed on P-91 suspension - what can I do now?

Policy 91 suspension is a permanent suspension from Construction Engineering and Management. Students wishing to switch to a different engineering department or college at VT must meet the entrance requirements for the new major. Listed below are some options for students placed on Policy 91 suspension. Factors such as the severity of the grade problems, the number of courses remaining to complete a degree, the primary reason for the poor grades should be taken into account when deciding which option is best for you.

  • Switch to a different major at Virginia Tech. To switch to a different engineering major, fill out a change of major survey available from the Engineering Education website during one of the three major change windows of opportunity available each year: the end of Fall semester, the end of Spring semester, and the end of Summer Session II. To switch to a major outside of the College of Engineering, please contact your new college for a change of major form and entrance requirements for your desired major.
  • Be sure to consult with the advisor from your new major to get help planning out the remaining courses you need to finish to complete your new degree program. You can visit the Sloan Career Cornerstone website for information on all science and engineering careers.
  • Meet with Tiera Lanford, Transitional Advisor in the College of Engineering. Prepare to discuss any of the following concerns in your meeting with Ms. Lanford:

· You are not GPA competitive to enter your desired engineering major, but you are certain you still want to earn an engineering degree.

· Your interests have changed and you are no longer interested in the major in which you were most recently enrolled, but you’re unsure which major to move into next.

· Your major and/or occupational choice is unclear and you need help in clarifying and deciding on options/new major(s).

If you would like to schedule an appointment with Ms. Lanford, please follow the steps below:

    1. Navigate to to launch the new platform for scheduling appointments.
    2. Click on the blue “Get Advising” tab on the right-hand side
    3. Select “Transitional Advising”
    4. Select “Engr. Transitional Advising”
    5. Select “Lanford, Tiera”
    6. Select the day and time you wish to schedule an appointment. Once you have selected a time, please include details about your appointment in the “Comments” Section.
  • You can meet with a Career Counselor in the Career and Professional Development Office. You can also Explore Careers on the Career and Professional Development Office website.
  • Wait 2 full years and apply for reinstatement to Construction Engineering and Management. Your request must include a justification as to what has changed and why you will be successful this time (example – relevant work experience, good performance in courses taken at a different school or while pursuing a different major, successful treatment for personal issues which caused problems). Note that if you switch to a different major at Virginia Tech following your Policy 91 suspension, you must meet any entrance requirements in place for Construction Engineering and Management at the time of your request. This may include a competitive application process (which may prevent you from applying if you have attended VT for more than three semesters prior to applying to re-enter CEM) should an enrollment cap be instituted for CEM.
  • Take a full 5 years off from Virginia Tech and invoke the Obsolete Credit Rule (see the Academic Course Calendar and Academic Policies manual for more information). This involves having your prior course history evaluated by the department in which you wish to study. You would lose credit for some courses and retain credit for others at the discretion of your department, but your GPA would be reset. Only new courses would factor into your GPAs.
  • Transfer to another school to pursue a degree. You may lose credit for courses with low grades. (Virginia Tech only accepts transfer credits with grades of C or higher; some schools have a cutoff grade of C- to accept transfer credits.) We urge you to correct any personal issues which may have contributed to your poor academic performance before starting at a new school.
  • Find an engineering-related job to help you decide if Construction Engineering and Management is what you really want to do. If you do like what you see, you may come back with renewed motivation. Otherwise, you might be more excited about switching majors to something you are more passionate about. If you decide to stick with engineering, you might want to retake any freshman or sophomore-level math or engineering courses (including statics and deforms) that you did poorly in at VT at a local community college. These courses could be used to replace credits you would lose due to poor grades when invoking the Obsolete Credit rule at VT (see above) or when transferring to another school.
  • Take some courses at another school as a non-degree seeking student which might count towards your BSCEM degree if you decide to return to VT or transfer to a different school (see the Transfer Equivalency Database to help locate equivalent courses and fill out a Transfer Credit Request form to ensure that the credits will transfer back to VT for the correct courses.). The advantage of taking courses as a non-degree seeking student is that the application for admission may be quicker and admission standards less stringent than for regular transfer students, however, schools often limit how many credits a non-degree seeking student may take.


How do I transfer to CEM if I already declared a major in the College of Engineering?

You must have completed the following courses:

  • CHEM 1035,1045
  • MATH 1225 and 1226
  • ENGE 1215, 1216 (C- minimum)
  • ENGL 1105 & 1106 
  • PHYS 2305

And meet these additional requirements:

  • Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours at Virginia Tech.
  • Have a minimum 2.0 overall GPA  (Students with a 3.0 overall VT GPA are guaranteed their first choice major. Students below a 3.0 will be rank ordered according to their GPA and placed in their first, second, or third choice based on space availability.)

Complete the Change of Major application in Hokie Spa, which is only open at specific times during the year. For additional information about admitted engineering students delcaring CEM as a major, click here.

What if I am not enrolled in the College of Engineering?

Click here to review the requirements to apply to the College of Engineering. 

Click here to learn how to apply once the application requirements are complete. 

Is the class size of the BS CEM degree program limited?

No. CEM is a growing major to meet the demand of the industry. There is no limit to the number of students that will be accepted into CEM as long as the first year of College of Engineering requirements have been completed and students have at least a 2.0 overall GPA.

What is a composite picture and when will it be taken?

Composite pictures are the class pictures of BC and CEM graduates that you see hanging in the hallways in Bishop-Favrao Hall. Each year's graduating class is featured in a composite picture. 

Pictures are taken in March of each year and include Spring, Summer, and Fall graduates of that year. The sitting fee is $20. Graduating seniors will receive an email from their advisor asking them to sign up for a day and time to get their picture taken. 

Students can purchase individual pictures as well as a composite of their class from the photographer for an additional fee. 

What is the hard hatting ceremony and when will it take place?

The Hard-Hatting Ceremony is a special graduation ceremony for all Myers-Lawson School of Construction graduates including both BC and CEM majors. Each student is recognized individually and is given an MLSoC orange hard hat.

Immediately following the ceremony, there is a reception on the 3rd floor of Bishop-Favrao Hall for graduates, family members, faculty, and staff. 

The ceremony is held the day before the university commencement ceremony so students can choose to wear their hard hat with their fellow MLSoC students at the university commencement ceremony.

What events take place during graduation?

For Fall graduation, the hard-hatting ceremony takes place on the Thursday after finals in the late afternoon/early evening. The university commencement ceremony takes place on the Friday morning after finals in Cassell Colliseum. Students will not receive their diplomas at the ceremony but will receive them in the mail a few weeks after the ceremony. Diplomas are mailed to the student's permanent address. Students graduating in the fall semester cannot participate in the spring graduation ceremony.

For spring graduation, the university commencement ceremony takes place at Lane Stadium on the Friday morning after finals. The hard-hatting ceremony takes place on that same Friday in the late afternoon/early evening.The College of Engineering commencement ceremony which includes CEM majors takes place on the Saturday morning after finals at 10:30 a.m. in Cassell Colliseum. Students will receive their diplomas at this ceremony.

For more information about the university commencement ceremonies, please visit the Commencement website.

How do I know I am ready to graduate?

Students can visit HokieSpa to run a Degree Audit Report (DARS). If all of the requirements have a green check-mark listed next to them or a blue dash, the student's requirements are complete or in-progress of being completed. If there are any red "X"s next to the student's requirements, the student has unmet requirements and is not ready to graduate or needs to contact their advisor to resolve the unmet requirements. 

Students can also view their graduation date at the top of the DARS to make sure the date is accurate. 

How do I know I am scheduled to walk in the graduation ceremony?

Students can visit HokieSpa to Apply for their Degree. From here, students can enter their graduation date and check a box to indicate if they plan to walk in the graduation ceremony. Students should receive confirmation from the College of Engineering that they are scheduled to walk in the ceremony.

How do I get financial assistance?

Outstanding students in the Construction Engineering and Management Program may qualify for scholarships. Scholarships are given based on a variety of factors which can include financial need, academic performance, demonstrated leadership skills, personal character, strong work ethic, a passion for the construction industry, underrepresented populations, and first-generation status. The department awards up to $62,960 of scholarship money to CEM students each year. Some of the scholarships are renewable for up to 3 years. Individual awards range from $1000-$14,950/academic year. General scholarships and College of Engineering scholarships are also available. For more information visit the Scholarship Page

Are there student organizations that I can be involved with? 

Yes. Here are some of the programs and clubs offered to students in the Myers-Lawson School of Construction (MLSoC): 

Industry Mentorship Program - Apply to have a member in the industry help you grow as a young professional as you make your transition from college to the workforce.

ASC Competition Teams - Develop a bid proposal for either the heavy civil, concrete, design build or commerical sector on a competitive construction management competition team. Teams compete in the regional competition in the fall semester in Peachtree, Georgia. Teams that advance to the national competition will compete in the spring semester in Reno, Nevada. Students must be selected to participate in the competition teams. Applications are typically available in the spring semester for the upcoming academic year. Contact Dr. Graff for more information.

Building Goodness Foundation - Established in the Fall of 2016 and adopted by the MLSoC. We are a non-profit construction service organization, specializing in large scale mission based projects. Our primary markets are assisting other non-profit organizations by providing construction based support. We pair industry professionals with passionate volunteers to provided struggling non-profits with a new or renovated space. Contact Brayden Bird for more information.

Building Women in Construction (BWIC) - Building Women in Construction is an organization founded by five female students in the Building Construction Department at Virginia Tech. The purpose of this organization is to unite women students studying construction-related disciplines. This organization is not specifically for female members; however, the overall intention is to help provide additional support and resources to help women succeed in this field of study. In the long run, the goal is to become a nationally known organization that offers young women chances to network within their universities, communities, and the industry. Contact BWIC for more information.

Appalachia Service Project - Appalachia Service Project at Virginia Tech (ASP-VT) was created in the fall of 2007 as an opportunity for students, faculty, and community members to join together to repair homes in the Appalachia Mountains. In spring 2015, we also began working on local service projects in the New River Valley. We collect applications throughout Montgomery County and select homes in need of repair, fundraise for the necessary materials, and spend weekends completing projects for these homes! Contact Michael Schnell for more information.

Who can I contact for more CEM information?

The contact person for the undergraduate Construction Engineering and Management program is Ashley Johnson, Program Chair,



    Construction Engineering and Management FAQs
    Careers, Internships, Co-ops, and Graduate School FAQs
    Scheduling and advising FAQs
    admissions to construction engineering and management faqs
    Miscellaneous FAQs